Tuesday, December 06, 2005

How a lawyer became a fiction writer

Insert your own lawyer joke here.

I went to law school. I enjoyed the academic exercise, but hated practicing law. So I went into public relations as a way to get involved with political campaigns (Equation: Law Degree + Press Experience= Lots of fun working with politicians).

After 4 years with a couple of top Boston firms, I started my own business. Had a lot of fun, made the time to write a novel... a political thriller my agent is shopping around... and spent not enough time with my wife and kids.

So when the opportunity came to start working with a terrific non-profit here in Boston, I took it. In the meantime, my agent really likes my idea for a second novel, but you know, since I have a great new job, I can't spend any time on my employer's dime actually writing a novel, and since I love this newfound time I have with my wife and kids, I'm not spending a whole lot of time writing... or even outlining... Soon, right?

Plus, there are things like the gym, which can be fun, and Springsteen concerts, which are other-worldly. They're great ways to avoid writing, actually. Even healthy. I highly recommend them.

Adam

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three lawyers walk into a bar...

Naw, I don't know any good lawyer jokes only a few bad ones.

Since I count Adam as one of my very best friends (second only to my wife), I am happy to write a post to his new blog.

Good luck with the blog! You know I wish you all the best with the current novel and the one we discussed at Thanksgiving.

4:43 PM, December 07, 2005  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

The one we discussed at Thanksgiving is even better than the one Jane and Miriam are shopping around now.

And the other sentiment is mutual, but it's okay to bash lawyers on this blog.

It's also okay for partisan political attacks.

Adam

9:35 PM, December 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home