Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Rocking on!

I'm rolling out the new novel at about 5,000 words per week. I broke the 20,000 word barrier tonight. Actually, I'll break the 21,000 word barrier tonight, too.

I'm staying fairly close to the outline, except that I've combined enough chapters that I'm a little ahead of the game.

I've got the new Johnny Cash 4-disc Legend box set cranked on iTunes. I have half a shot of Knob Creek left in my glass and about 400 words to go to reach 21,000. For that last 400 words, I might have to go totally badass and put in some Waylon Jennings. If you haven't tried outlaw country, run to your nearest music store. I've been spoiled on outlaw country for most of my life, but for the uninitiated, it's... well, it's like rock and roll with a country beat and great vocals.

Speaking of outlaw country: I'm seeing Kris Kristofferson for the second time in my life on Friday night, and it's the second time I'm seeing Kristofferson with my mother. It's not the ten times I've seen Springsteen in concert, but I absolutely love the symmetry. (In fact, this Kristofferson concert will be as momentous as the Springsteen concert I saw with the late, great Nick Alicino.)

The kids and the Saint are in bed, sleeping off various ailments, but they're getting better. We're getting a tax refund for the first time in about 5 years. And it looks like we're heading to Cooperstown for Easter. It's the little things, people.

Life is good. Life is spectacular. Life couldn't get better. Yet it does. For those of you checking in every day (M.G., Bardawill, Kelly, Ms. Sergienko, Bianca, Dana, Konrath, Gib, Matt, Lt. Ed Novak, Jamie and a couple of colleagues from work, as well as the dozens of you who drop in occasionally): Get back to your writing. There's nothing to see here. I'm happy. Totally functional. It's almost depressing because if I get any happier I won't be able to write. Every writer reading this got that one.

To put it a little more clearly, I'll quote my best muse: "It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."

Adam

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Yay, Adam! You've been quiet, but this is good. 20K is a BIG barrier. The next one is 30K. Something about getting past that one. It means you're into the middle. Well., for the kind of stories I write, it does.

All right, enough dawdling. You write. I'm back to stuffing things into envelopes.

10:19 AM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Quiet? Moi?

I beg to differ. I've put up at least four blog entries this week... I've cranked out 2,500 words, and I've answered about 3,000 e-mails from Arizona.

Adam

12:27 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Mark Pettus said...

I don't know how I missed you before, but this is my first visit.

As you might imagine, I've been known to enjoy country music at times, and I've even eaten food that I hunted down myself, but I never expected to find a former Democrat politico from Massachusetts who had done either.

Arkansas Demos - maybe.

5:39 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Mark, Sharon--

Thanks for stopping by. Come back and visit any time.

I found both your blogs through Mindy's, and I read them, well, pretty much whenever they're updated.

Adam

6:33 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger WannabeMe said...

I know I should be writing, but blogging is like a drug and I'm addicted.

Okay, that was like cheesy, but I'm tired, even a humor writer can't be expected to be funny all the time! geesh, the pressure!

12:46 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

All right, everyone. Show's over.

Back to work.

Adam

9:55 AM, March 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home