Thursday, April 20, 2006

From the "Shameless Self-Promotion" File

This is priceless.

One of the great things about writing in the blogosphere is that I get to meet new and interesting people from all over the place. It's especially nice when "all over the place" includes my hometown.

Anyway, as you are well aware by now, my new friend Jim Atwell "discovered" my blog because I wrote about his wonderful book, From Fly Creek (and then blogged about his discovery of my blog). He lives a couple miles south of my parents, so one thing led to another, and that "another" was cocktails with Jim and his lovely wife Anne on Easter weekend, followed by a visit to their farm.

Here is Jim's take on the situation, from this week's Cooperstown Crier.

You know, I'm glad Jim and Anne had as much fun as we did... and my one regret was the same as Jim's: We didn't spend enough time talking to each other. The guy's a Master with the English language, and we could have spent three days discussing craft.

Have I also mentioned that Jim and Anne inscribed my book? Anne, you see, did all the illustrations and graphic design for Jim's masterpiece... and now their work is on my bookshelf, to which the Saint returns it after finishing each installment.

The past few days have been really funny. Jim and I talked about a bunch of his columns, but we didn't mention things like titles, because... well... because we knew what we were talking about and we didn't need to bog ourselves down in details.

So the Saint thought we were just having random conversations about nothing. Like Seinfeld, but in Fly Creek. And now, as she reads along, I hear her saying, "Oh, that's where that one came from," and "Now I understand." It's beautiful. And you really should experience Jim's book for yourselves. Go grab it here.

The inscription on my copy, by the way, reads: "To Adam, a treasured new friend."

Treasured new friend. Couldn't have said it better, Jim. Right back atcha. Anne too.

Yes, we'll be back for the 4th, and we can't wait to see you again.

Adam

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

It is so cool the way all that worked out, Adam. Jim and his wife sound like lovely people.

3:06 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Everybody should be lucky enough to meet people like Jim and Anne.

Adam

3:54 PM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home