Sunday, March 26, 2006

Spectacular!

So my mom, my uncle and I went to see Kris Kristofferson on Friday night. We ended up in the front row of the mezzanine, maybe 15 feet above the stage.

Two words about Kristofferson: Rock Star.

Two more words: Sex symbol.

Four more words: He is almost 70.

Okay, so the vast majority of people in the audience were older than me. Most were older than my mother. Didn't matter.

Kris was on fire.

Lyrical, poetic, full badass mode, except when he thanked the audience, which happened after every song. In what was more of a singalong, Kris earned at least seven standing ovations.

There was genuine banter with the crowd. No casual fans here. I'd rate the fanatic quotient at better than 99%. That's higher than the fanatic quotient at a U2 concert (about 75%). Higher than the fanatic quotient at a Springsteen concert with the E-Street Band (about 80%). Higher even than the fanatic quotient at a Springsteen solo concert (around 90%).

I scored a handwritten copy of the setlist.

I've mentioned in several entries on this blog that I grew up listening to Kristofferson. He and Johnny Cash were my musical heroes until I discovered Springsteen. I think that's why lyrics have always been more important to me than the music has. With all three of these guys, you need to pay attention to the words.

Kris was an hour and a half of pure poetry. A religious experience. In fact, if it had been any more religious, I'd be speaking in tongues right now.

Tell me again: Are you sure this guy turns 70 in June?

After listening to Kristofferson, after being a part of that (for the first time in 30 years), I couldn't wait to get home and write.

My mother? She's pulling an Adam. She travels to Albany on Thursday evening to see Kristofferson again. Like I've done several times with Springsteen concerts.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Thank God for that.

Adam

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And she had a great time. Aunt Carol and I were wondering if we would get to see him again in concert. sure hope so.

4:26 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

This is the part where I get to shout: Thanks, Mom!

4:34 PM, March 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home