Thursday, January 05, 2006

Busted!

All right... I can admit when I'm wrong. Really, I can.

And I'm wrong. It's not an inconsequential wrong, either.

The other day, I said Johnny Cash at San Quentin is the best prison album of all time. My fellow Springsteen fan (who is also a Johnny Cash fan) Paul Guyot called me on it. Guyot, you'll remember, entitles all his blog posts with names of Springsteen songs.

My kind of blogger.

Guyot told me that Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison is a better album.

My first thought: Swords or Pistols, Paul?

My second thought (delayed until this evening): Guyot was right.

San Quentin is powerful as Hell, but I hadn't heard Folsom in ages. Folsom is better. All you need to hear are songs like Cocaine Blues and 25 Minutes to Go. Johnny Cash didn't write either one of them, by the way (the great Shel Silverstein penned 25 Minutes...), but you'd never know it. The songs are his.

The clanging doors, the public address announcements, the interaction with the inmates, the handwritten liner notes: This is a guy who gets it.

Folsom is an absolute knockout and I'm glad I ran out and bought it today.

Thanks, Paul. You were correct.

Perhaps I should have entitled this post "Better Days." Or how about: "Dead Man Walkin'", or "I'm Goin' Down," or maybe we're keeping score, so in that case, "If I Should Fall Behind..."

San Quentin is the second best prison album of all time. Folsom is the best. Discussion over.

Back to writing.

Adam

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Whatever, Carty.

12:13 AM, January 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home