Thursday, December 28, 2006

While the Plowmen are Digging

Holy Cow, what a Christmas!

Best ever.

Before the Saint, the kids and I went to Connecticut to visit her parents, siblings and our new niece, we opened presents here.

I love the whole gift giving thing. We gave the kids a bunch of books, DVDs, music, toys, clothes, and games. A friend of mine had given us a DVD player for our car, so I did some last minute purchasing.

Santa gave the Saint a pearl necklace.

The Saint rocked my world: She gave me an iPod. I know, I know. I'm one of the last people on the face of the planet without one. But still.

Now that we're back from Connecticut, the Saint is in danger of becoming an iPod widow. Before we left, I put a bunch of Bruce stuff on it. While we were there, I added a little more. Since we've been home, I've gone through every CD in the house and lifted stuff (except I'm a little light on Zeppelin because I can't find disc 2 of my four disc set).

I loaded 98% of my Springsteen catalogue, including the entire Fenway concert and a good chunk of the Albany Devils & Dust show (friends have gifted me with bootlegs from time to time).

But the best part? I have 8 different versions of "All Along the Watchtower," and for the first time, they're all in iTunes, and they're all on the iPod. I have three Dylan versions, one from Hendrix, one from Neil Young, one from Indigo Girls, one from Dave Matthews and one from U2. They all kick ass (though Hendrix... I mean, come on, is there a better version?) and Neil Young's is particularly passionate (ain't the dude from Seattle, but it's good).

I'm still looking for a bootleg version of Bruce doing it on the Vote for Change tour in 2004. That's Nirvana.

Now I know why so many people are strapped when I go to the gym. I stuck the headphones in my ears on Christmas Day and I completely misplaced ninety minutes. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that I've spent the last way too many hours updating iTunes and popping everything onto my new toy. Tomorrow's workout is gonna fly by.

We've got a lot of rock, a heavy dose of country, with alternative, folk, blues and pop thrown in for flavor. And I'm about to load Leonard Bernstein's version of Beethoven's Ninth at the Berlin Wall.

I've represented the usual suspects very well:

  • I copied most Bruce albums in their entirety
  • Followed by about 50 Johnny Cash songs
  • Then most of my Kristofferson stuff (all the old stuff plus The Austin Sessions)
  • U2, REM, Waylon Jennings, John Mellencamp, Bob Seger, Clapton, Skynyrd...
  • I even threw in a little Billy Joel, Garth Brooks and one-hit wonder Dobie Gray.
You get the picture.

But I keep coming back to this: I now have all my versions of Watchtower in one place.

Hope your Christmas also rocked.

Adam

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

For a second there, I thought you said, 'one-hit wonder, Dobie Gillis' and I thought:

"Dobie Gillis cut a single?"

Happy New Year to you, Adam. Glad to hear about the novel progress. May the next 60K go swimmingly for you.

1:26 AM, December 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the Stones? No ipod is complete without them. Need to borrow the London Years CD's?

6:56 PM, January 01, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Thanks, Mindy.

BMAG--

Stones, London Years, Check.

Heavily represented.

7:59 PM, January 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home