Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Into the Final Turn

I've had an incredibly productive few days with this manuscript. Another chapter and a half and I'll be done with this draft. The stats, for those of you keeping score at home: 405 pages and 111,000 words. Those will increase, briefly, and then decrease, when the real work-- editing-- begins.

For now... at long last, I think I'll finish draft one this weekend.

I'm trying to stay in my protagonist's head, so I've avoided (for the most part, successfully) listening to Bruce, if failing to play his music can be called a success (I don't think it can). As I've said elsewhere on this blog, this protag is more country than rock and roll. I've been playing Johnny Cash's prison albums a lot lately. When that hasn't worked, Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings have hit the scene.

When draft one is over, I'm cranking up perhaps the most exquisite Bruce album I own, my bootleg of his second night at Fenway Park in 2003. After that: Nebraska.

It's time. In fact, it's overdue.

Adam

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos on rounding the final corner on the book. And on Nebraska--great album.

Thanks for referring me to Dystel! Miriam referred me to Lauren Abramo. She liked the partial and requested the full--which will be going out next week.

1:06 PM, April 20, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:16 PM, April 20, 2007  
Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

This is kind of like running a marathon, isn't it?

3:38 PM, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Well, yeah, it is like running a marathon. It's like running a marathon in 100 sprints of a thousand words each.

3:51 PM, April 24, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Congrats on the requests, Jamie. Great news.

10:38 PM, April 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home