Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Saint Wins a Raffle

The Saint went out to a dinner-fundraiser with her friends the other night. I stayed home with Oldest Son, Middle Child and Daughter. We had a blast. They wore me out. I crashed at 9:30.

At 10:30, the Saint runs into the bedroom, shouting, "Adam!"

I ignore her.

She yells my name again.

Again, I ignore her.

When she says my name a third time, I realize that I'm not getting back to sleep until I acknowledge her.

"Hmm?" I mumble.

"We had a raffle at the fundraiser."

"That's nice."

I knew this already. Have I mentioned that earlier in the evening, she'd liberated the last $20 from my wallet? She spent it on raffle tickets.

"I won!"

"Great. That's lovely." The last time I won a raffle, I brought home bubble bath. Mine was free. I hope the Saint didn't pay all $20 for hers.

"It was $800 worth of stuff!" Visions of pedicures danced through my head. Chocolates, flowers, gift certificates for soaps, shampoos, more bubble bath, all kinds of feminine stuff that bores me... I was rapidly drifting back to sleep.

"We got a night at the Hyatt!

"And I get to drive one of these for a weekend!"

I'm happily dreaming again by this point, although I've always wanted to own a Navigator, which is funny, because I drive about 10 miles per week.

"And we get dinner here!" I snapped joyously awake, sure I heard Beethoven's Ninth playing in the background.

Have I mentioned how cool it is that the Saint entered the raffle? All this for only $20?

She won the anniversary package. Aside from the obligatory chocolates and cookies, yes, there was a facial. There was also a nice bottle of champagne, two glasses, dinner at a sushi place, and a bunch of other great stuff.

I just ordered her birthday present as well, a little late, but I think she'll like it. She picked it out, after all.

And this evening, she's out with her friends again. I think this is a good start to her vacation week.

In the meantime, I need to write. But I won't. Before I began this post, I dialed for dinner. I need to get the door. It's Domino's.

Adam

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Improper Bostonian said...

Wow Adam, great minds think alike...in terms of the birthday present ;)
And thanks to the Saint. I got the facial....did I tell you she rocks as a friend?

9:01 AM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

She rocks as a wife, too.

10:14 AM, April 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Saint deserved to win that prize. And since a sitter was not included--you should call on the folks to stay with the urchins.

10:24 AM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Yes, Mom, I will. Consider yourself called on.

10:50 AM, April 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home