Friday, May 04, 2007

While I'm Editing...

Go over and congratulate the Great and Gifted Jamie Ford. He had an agent offer him representation yesterday. I suspect other agents will call him as well.

Having experienced this myself, I know just how wild a feeling it is. Those are frozen in time moments.

As in:

Jane Dystel called me at 8:42 on a Friday evening in January of 2004, after I'd had a few e-mail exchanges and a conversation with her partner, Miriam Goderich. The Saint was a little over a week away from giving birth to Daughter. I'd just gotten off the phone with my mother. Sarcastically, I'd told Mom, "I have to hang up now. My exclusive with my dream agency ends in a little over three hours. Somebody might call."

Not fifteen seconds later, Jane phoned. After "We love your book and we want to represent you," nothing else in the conversation mattered.

Jane told me to take the weekend to decide. I accepted on the spot. I'd already done all my research. As a writer, it was the second best decision I ever made. The best? Marrying the Saint. But you knew that already.

Back to Jamie for a second: He's also a hell of an editor. He read an early draft of my current manuscript and his editorial comments were nearly identical to Miriam's. So go visit his blog and let him know that he might be surprised, but we aren't. He earned it.

Adam

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger skinke said...

Congrats Adam.

Any chance of getting hold of a signed copy?

Graeme

3:41 PM, May 04, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Hey, Graeme--

I promise that if and when this thing sells, I'll send a signed copy to Norway.

Adam

5:33 PM, May 04, 2007  
Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

This is wonderful news. All around. Jamie's a kickass writer.

12:18 PM, May 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Adam.

It's funny, once you get an offer, other agents suddenly give you the time of day. I have 9 full manuscripts out there--four said they'd have it read by Monday.

Got a form letter rejection from Sandra Dijkstra...go figger.

11:06 PM, May 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home