Monday, February 19, 2007

That Annual Obligation

Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday. I haven't always given up anything for Lent. In fact, I only started a few years ago.

That first year, I gave up booze. It was a piece of cake.

So the next year, I gave up ice cream. Giving up cigarettes was easier.

Let me tell you about my family's ice cream history. On my mother's side, I think my grandparents ate a bowl of ice cream every night. They had a second freezer with eight or nine different varieties (and three or four deer worth of venison). My grandfather had several spoons stashed in that freezer. At least one was hidden in plain sight so my grandmother could stop looking for the others. She'd always "miss" one.

My parents made their own ice cream at one point (maybe they'll read this post from their balmy Nicaraguan vacation and take the hint when they get home). They cook light, eat light, stay fit, all that willpower crap. But they still have a freezer full of ice cream.

I'd be forty pounds lighter without my friends Ben and Jerry. So I'm kicking them to the curb for Lent. Which means that tonight, Ben and Jerry are visiting. Maybe tomorrow night, too.

Adam

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger skinke said...

Hi there. I have taken to heart your comment about not blogging in English. So today (for one day only, as they say), I've blogged in English. Hope you enjoy.

2:54 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

Great post. I just trekked across the water to read your item about the guy who... never mind... I'll just let anybody interested make the connection by clicking on your name.

Thanks for the English post. Makes me want to learn Norwegian.

Adam

3:08 PM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am ready to buy a new machine for making ice cream. that was the BEST!! Thanks for reminding me. I am back now in upstate NY shoveling out like every one else around here. Looking forward to a night in . Maybe!!

4:42 PM, February 24, 2007  
Blogger Improper Bostonian said...

If you can give up B&J then I can give up soda....and let me tell you I jonesed for it up until today. Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Saturday....okay so 4 days to get easy

7:49 PM, February 24, 2007  
Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

I'm going a little bonkers without the ice cream. But the Saint and I went to Pizzeria Uno for dinner. The bacon cheeseburger pizza will make you forget about things like ice cream.

10:07 PM, February 24, 2007  
Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

I used to be addicted to Ben and Jerry. seriously addicted. Then I got on the scale.

3:08 PM, February 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home